Swimming Lessons for Children
The Red Cross has developed swimming lessons for kids and adults that allow everyone the opportunity to learn in a safe environment, at their own pace. Available across the country, Learn-to-Swim classes are taught by certified, knowledgeable and caring instructors who can help swimmers at every level feel comfortable in the water and progress to the next level.
What to Expect
At the Red Cross, our swimming classes for kids are tailored to the needs of each child, so that he or she can progress at a comfortable pace. And although some children may advance more quickly or slowly, our instructors ensure that everyone receives the instruction they need.
In the Learn-to-Swim program, parents or guardians of children up to 5 years of age will actively participate in their kids' swim lessons. This not only helps increase the child's comfort level in the water, but can help parents understand the process and practice skills with their children between classes.
What They'll Learn
The Learn-to-Swim program focuses on building skills one step at a time. By giving them the opportunity to master one element before moving on to the next, our kids' swim classes make it easy to build confidence in the water.
During their swim lessons, children will spend time on the following six levels:
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills: Students will learn how to feel comfortable in the water and safely enjoy it.
- Level 2: Fundamentals of Aquatic Skills: Children will learn basic swimming skills.
- Level 3: Stroke Development: Additional guided practice will help students improve their skills.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement: Kids will gain confidence during swim lessons, improve their stroke and gain additional aquatic skills.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement: Guidance allows kids to refine their strokes and become more efficient swimmers.
- Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency: Students will learn to swim with ease and efficiency, and gain the ability to swim smoothly over greater distances. Swimmers will also have the option to participate in more advanced courses.
Sign Up for Swim Lessons
The Red Cross offers swimming lessons for kids throughout the country, making it easy to find one that suits your needs and your schedule. Visit our Learn-to-Swim page to find a facility near you or contact your local pool and ask for Red Cross swim lessons.
Parents enrolling their kids in swim lessons may also wish to take a CPR and First Aid class. This way, you can deliver care to your family and others during medical emergencies. With online, in-person and our blended Simulation Learning courses, you can choose the class that suits your schedule and learning style best.
Why Train With the Red Cross
Red Cross CPR Training Saves Lives
Reid Heiser, Life Saver
One week after 17-year-old Reid completed his Red Cross CPR training, he needed to use it. In November 2011, Reid saved the life of Jim Hammer after he collapsed at the recreation center where Reid worked. Now friends, they share their story.
Red Cross training matters
For more than a century, we've prepared people to respond to emergencies of all sizes - from the everyday to the large disaster. Join the millions we train every year and learn the skills that can save a life.
"Without my friend's training, I would not be here"
- Watch Bre Dumke's Story
"The first 7 minutes are critical"
- Watch More